Re: slashes in filenames [was Re: Error while trying to install openssh-server on Buster]

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 09:42:24AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2020-07-24 at 09:22, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> >             ^^^^^
> > Nitpick: the directory entry is the one carrying the name.
>
> I had the impression that even a directory is stored in/as something
> that is at least analogous to an inode. Is there a different term that's
> more appropriate for the on-disk structure which holds a directory, vs.
> 'inode' for the one that holds a file?

That's right: the directory is at the same time a file, and thus,
represented by the inode. But the name itself is in the content
of the directory, whithin the directory entry.

[...]

> It does seem to suggest that, but when I run
>
> $ /sbin/e2fsck /tmp/testfs
>
> on the tiny filesystem created as in my previous mail, it doesn't report
> finding any problems and seem to change anything.

Hm. You gave it the -f option? Otherwise, if the file system is marked
"clean", e2fsck might choose the lazy option :-)

Cheers
-- t