Re: slashes in filenames [was Re: Error while trying to install openssh-server on Buster]

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 07:49:26AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> Sounds like a case where directly editing the underlying device, to
> modify inode-or-equivalent contents such that the slash is no longer
> there, might even be *advisable*.

Yeah, some sort of direct hex-edit on the unmounted file system's
device might be the only way to rename the file.  But I was not going
to attempt that, back then... I was just a consultant, not even an
employee.  And I wouldn't have known where to look for a disk-hex-editor
for HP-UX 9 or whatever it was at the time.  There certainly wouldn't
have been one included with the OS.

Not to mention, you'd have to take the file system offline, and since it's
a shared NFS file system, that means potentially a *lot* of work being
disrupted.