Re: slashes in filenames [was Re: Error while trying to install openssh-server on Buster]

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 07:54:27AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 07:49:26AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> > Sounds like a case where directly editing the underlying device, to
> > modify inode-or-equivalent contents such that the slash is no longer
           ^^^^^

Nitpick: the directory entry is the one carrying the name.

> > there, might even be *advisable*.
>
> Yeah, some sort of direct hex-edit on the unmounted file system's
> device might be the only way to rename the file.

If you have ext<n> (for n>=2), you're lucky (actually, aren't we all,
with so many high-quality file systems to choose from?).

The file system check utility seems to take care of it (at least, the
source code [1] suggests that).

Cheers
[1] https://sources.debian.org/src/e2fsprogs/1.45.6-1/e2fsck/pass2.c/?hl=494:503#L494
-- t