Re: Slic3r --gui won't run

Gene Heskett wrote:

>So please tell me why, despite all the other distributions using your
>code base to make extremely stable versions of buster, has debian rather
>pointedly, indeed gone out of your way, to unsupport the rpi's?

Nobody has "gone out of their way" to *unsupport* anything. That's a
particularly cynical (and frankly downright insulting) way to describe
things.

There's two things in play here:

 * Debian's is a Free Software project. Platforms that depend on
   non-free things for core things (like boot) are never going to be
   as well-supported as platforms where we can include everything
   needed. Other distributions may not care so much, that's up to
   them.

   Part of our commitment to Free Software includes providing the
   pieces for others to use how they want, hence Armbian / Raspbian /
   Ubuntu / Mint (and many others) can release their own
   differently-focussed OS without having to invent it all from
   scratch.

 * Debian is a volunteer project - people basically work on what
   interests them. That means that some things may not get the focus
   or effort that some users would like. There's scope to get involved
   or to convince existing developers to work on different stuff.

On the Pi 4, it looks like there's finally (IMHO) a good option -
using an EDK2 build in flash allows you to have a properly Free OS on
top of that, using UEFI to boot. If I had an interest in the Pi,
that's what I would be playing with.

"You can't barbecue lettuce!" -- Ellie Crane