Re: Slic3r --gui won't run

On Tuesday 21 July 2020 07:45:03 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 09:43:52AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > Most of the hardware support is in the kernel and as far as I can
> > tell buster should run with a 4.2 kernel (required by systemd).
>
> The release notes for buster say that it requires a 3.2 kernel due
> to GNU libc.
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/ch-informat
>ion.en.html#glibc-and-linux
>
> This is the reason why my VPS, which is running under a 2.6 kernel,
> cannot be upgraded past stretch.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, there is no reason Gene couldn't run
> buster with his 3.10 kernel.  At least, nothing in the release notes
> counter-indicates it.  Actual experience may dictate otherwise.

The other consideration in the case of the pi's is that up until part way
thru the 4.19 series, there was no support for its video hdwe, forceing
us to use the framebuffer, whose update rate is about 2 to 3 fps at
best.  With that support enabled, full screen glxgears runs at 60 fps.
Without that, the backplot for linuxcnc is 2 or 3 seconds behind the
machine.

What has amazed me from the gitgo, is that the single most popular by a
wide margin, arm based board, outnumbering all others combined by a wide
margin, gets zero support from debian. I did a netinstall of buster,
which almost worked, but because it was for arm64, had unusable for
linuxcnc multi-millisecond latency, where the armhf can do latencies of
15 microseconds, not great, but good enough.  And it took me a couple
days after the install, to get enough networking stuff blown away and
make it work on my host file based network. I spent weeks building
preempt-rt kernels without building anything that would install.
Questions asking for help were always blown off.

Then I found raspbian was also makeing buster, but for armhf.  And they
could supply the src for a realtime-preempt kernel, no support, just the
src. So I built it, and using what I learned, I figured out a way to
install it, and made a 30meg tarball others could install. You can even
get it from my web page. But the install is not by conventional methods,
read and follow the readme.

So please tell me why, despite all the other distributions using your
code base to make extremely stable versions of buster, has debian rather
pointedly, indeed gone out of your way, to unsupport the rpi's?

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis