Re: Debian 10.4 blank screen After new install

On Tue 21 Jul 2020 at 22:25:57 (-0500), Edward M Kent wrote:
> Hello All,   I am an old Nube trying to get set up to use a Beaglebone on
> some projects.  I thought I had a successful install after a list of tasks
> was displayed down the screen's left hand edge.

Those "tasks" are the bootable systems being displayed by Grub.

> The list went blank and
> left a - in the upper left corner.

After a 5 second (default) delay, unless you have struck a key, the
system boots the first system in the list.

> This curser soon disappeared leaving a
> blank screen.  The mouse cursed did show up but was a bit erratic.

If the drive is "spinning rust", you should've heard it chattering as
the OS is loaded. It sounds as if the video mode is unsatisfactory.

> rebooted several times and ended back at the same place.

If you press a key during the first 5 seconds, the countdown should
stop. Some suggestions to try:

c   gives you a grub> prompt.
e   should show the contents of the menu for this line in the list.

You can move up and down the list with the arrows. It's even possible
that there are entires for Windows lower down the list.

> This is on a win10 Dell and I can not get back to win10 because I did not
> get the dual boot setup.

I'm hesitant to give you specific Grub commands off the cuff, but if
you type e at the first item in the list, you can experiment with
video modes that might work. Any changes you make in this way
only apply to this boot, so it's a safe way to experiment.

A suggestion I have seen made here in the past is to remove the line:
load_video

Another suggestion, that might be completely useless, is to add the word
  nomodeset
to the end of the line that says something like:
  linux /boot/vmlinuz… …

Others here might have better suggestions.

Cheers,
David.