[SOLVED] Re: How to control mode entered after specific inactivity time?

On 07/22/2020 08:10 AM, Henning Follmann wrote:
On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 04:39:03AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
My search attempts likely failed because I didn't know the appropriate
terms.

After some initial inactivity the screen blanks and can can be brought back
to life by mouse movement.
After a longer period of inactivity one must touch the power button.

What are the correct names for these states?

How does a user (preferably not root) control the timing of entering these
states?
I know that I've reset them because the defaults were inconvenient. Now they
are inappropriate. I'm using Debian 9.8.

TIA

Well that depends
Usually you set these in the gnome settings under power settings.

That's what I needed. I'm using MATE not Gnome.
On main menu I needed to go to:
   System->Preferences->Hardware->Power Management

All my searches had led to manpage entries for much too low a level.
Thank you.

However systemd can be used to control these. There are several targets
(hibernate.target, suspend.target and sleep.target) which are used to
enter a different "state".
You can change the settings in the logind.conf.
Please check
man logind.conf
for all the options.

-H