Re: Final CDs being written for Stretch - 9.13 release - prior to LTS

Hi,

Andrew Cater wrote:
> If anybody knows of any [Mac Mini] that they really must keep
> running, speak now or forever hold your peace.

It is possible to create an ISO without EFI boot lures from a normal
i386 or amd64 ISO.
Follow
  https://wiki.debian.org/RepackBootableISO
but leave out the options beginning with
  -eltorito-alt-boot

Others seem to have solved their mini mac problems similarly
  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Remove_UEFI_boot_support_from_optical_media

> For the future, we should produce physical media for
> the netinst.iso, the first DVD image in any set and one larger image to be
> written to a USB stick if wanted - and corresponding source for each size.

A large image for USB stick or 25 GB Blu-ray would help those with
insufficient network access at installation time.

> All other .iso files to be distributed as .jigdo and .template files.

Most DVD images and images for all larger media are already only available
via .jigdo.

Jigdo's software status is healthy. But we need better documentation and more
advertising for it. How about a jigdo help file in the download directories
with .jigdo files, which tells how to get the download software and how to
use it.

Steve McIntyre offers binaries for MS-Windows and source at
  https://www.einval.com/~steve/software/jigdo/download/
I documented the endeavor of getting and booting a Debian Live for the
purpose of downloading jigdo ISOs in
  https://wiki.debian.org/JigdoOnLive
(Still lacking knowledge about how to mount foreign OS disks for writing.)
Then there is
  https://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/
We could need a list of distros and names of their packages which contain
jigdo-lite.

This all should be mashed up and condensed to a tangible description what
to do with the presented .jigdo and .template files.

There is also the fact that due to network and server latency the download
on a fast internet connection via jigdo is much slower than direct download
via HTTPS.
(Netinst installation might have the same drawbacks. How much faster is
 installation from a 32 GB USB stick in comparison to netinst ?)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas