Re: Using .XCompose

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 davidson wrote:
I have conducted an experiment with the following ~/.XCompose file,
and tried to document it relatively thoroughly below.
[snip]

%% THREE XCOMPOSE RULES to test

$ cat ~/.XCompose
include "%L"
<U0D19> : "ങ്ങ" # Ajith's auto-geminate rule, (U0D19) => (U0D19) (U0D4D) (U0D19)
<Multi_key> <s> <x> : "✄"  # (U2704) white scissors, h/t David Wright
<Z>                 : "ARGA WARGA IN THE DARGA instead of Z"

[snip]

There is a mistake here. A missing step.

%% ARGA WARGA

The third rule ('Z' => "ARGA WARGA...Z") was easiest to test:

1. Open the application. (If necessary, navigate to a text entry field.)

STEP 1-AND-A-HALF. Hold down the Shift key.

2. (While under "us" keyboard layout) strike the key labeled "Z" on my
   standard US laptop keyboard
3. Observe whether

     ARGA WARGA IN THE DARGA instead of Z

   is printed.

The two terminal emulators passed this test. The graphical web browsers failed
in an interesting way. Instead of displaying

    ARGA WARGA IN THE DARGA instead of Z

in the text entry field, they displayed just

You won't feel the collar if you don't go anywhere.