Re: Whats chances of getting libTLSv1.3 for stretch

On Thursday 09 July 2020 05:47:15 Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 11:38:14AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Mi, 08 iul 20, 09:36:25, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > And I note that procmail is being bad-mouthed, but its been doing
> > > exactly what I want for 2 decades with no hiccups.
> >
> > I remember having a look at its syntax and... well, let's say I used
> > maildrop ;)
> >
> > > I would submit that its docs might need help, but if you read them
> > > carefully, it does exactly what you tell it to do, so I've no
> > > need/urge to experiment with getmail.
> >
> > getmail is intended as a replacement for fetchmail...
> >
> > http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/faq.html#faq-about-why
> >
> > As far as I can tell it supports Python 2 only, which is going to be
> > removed from Debian.
>
> Gene, the biggest benefit to switching off of fetchmail is speed. It
> is literally 10 or more times faster.
>
> And a trick to make it about twice as fast or more again (even before
> transitioning from procmail to sieve) is to make it 2 steps:
>
>  1. Save all downloading email to a temp email folder/file.

Why? Its designed to use an MTA, so procmail does all that.

>  2. Only after that's finished, sort your email into folders.

Kmail does that. And it occasionally gets a tummy ache when another
program puts a mail in one of its folders.

> Doing it this way means that the sorting program is only launched (and
> all the rules read) once, not once for each email.
>
> The final speed boost, and much cleaner rules file (which I suggest
> not doing until after getmail is running smoothly for you) is using
> sieve for email sorting.

Looked at it, needless complexity IMO.

> There are 2 sieves: Gnu `sieve` in the `mailutils` package, and
> `sieve-filter` from the `dovecot-sieve` package.
>
> dovecot-sieve by default pulls in dovecot-core, the mail server, which
> I don't use, and I'm not sure if it is started automatically when
> installed, so I just use gnu sieve.
>
> The only thing with gnu sieve though, is that it balks on the
> occasional emails containing a lone extra space at the end of the From
> line (which is out of spec), which means a trivial perl/sed pass on
> your "incoming/ recently downloaded email folder" prior to sorting,
> something like this:
>
>     perl -p -i -e 's/^(From:.*)( +)$/\1/' "$MAIL_INCOMING"
>
> All that said, we won't hold the stone age against ya ;)

Guilty re the stone age. What I have has been working well for decades.
I'm 85 now, and have a replacement parts list thats beginning to
resemble the 6 million dollar man from b&w tv days, the card case is
full of this and that for the medics. I've out stared the guy with the
scythe and made him blink first 3 times now but I understand I've heard
the 10 minute warning buzzer too. I've had quite a ride, but it will
end, sometime.

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)