Re: Whats chances of getting libTLSv1.3 for stretch

On Thursday 09 July 2020 04:38:14 Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 08 iul 20, 09:36:25, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > Er... what?  This question doesn't make any sense.  I can't figure
> > > out whether you're asking for a *newer* library or an *older*
> > > library than what you have right now.
> > >
> > > TLS 1.3 is very new, and is not assumed to be present by most
> > > applications.
> > >
> > > SSL 3 is extremely old, and has well-known exploited holes.  My
> > > first Google hit for SSL 3 is a refernce to the POODLE exploit
> > > from 2014.
> > > <https://blog.qualys.com/ssllabs/2014/10/15/ssl-3-is-dead-killed-b
> > >y-th e-poodle-attack>
> > >
> > > Are you *really* trying to use SSL 3, because that's what you
> > > configured the other end to use, "2 decades" ago?  If so, it is
> > > time to stop doing that.  Upgrade *both* ends to use currently
> > > supported, non-vulnerable TLS protocols.  At this point, TLS 1.2
> > > is your most likely target.
> >
> > ./configure --with-ssl, make, sudo make install, is whats working
> > right now. But I won't know if it all just works again till the
> > middle of the night when sa-train-bayes runs again.  But it runs as
> > me, so nothing is stopping me from running it right now. And this
> > time it did restart fetchmail ok when it was done. 6.4.3 was giving
> > systemd a tummy ache after updating from backports, about 150
> > packages.  That also destroyed TDE and it took a reboot to restore
> > it, a startx got me xfce.
> >
> > But, while fetchmail-6.4.8 seems to be listed by synaptic, its
> > ghosted and will not let me install the "approved" version, so I
> > must dl and build my own.  Whats with that?
>
> Please post the output of 'apt policy fetchmail'.

fetchmail:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: (none)
  Version table:
     6.3.26-3 -1
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

But debians refusal to update fetchmail when it needs it has caused most
of its users to download the tarball and build/install it
to /usr/local/bin.  So I'm useing 6.4.8 and understandably apt is giving
us a worthless WAG.

> > And I note that procmail is being bad-mouthed, but its been doing
> > exactly what I want for 2 decades with no hiccups.
>
> I remember having a look at its syntax and... well, let's say I used
> maildrop ;)

I've looked at maildrop, and its a whole new syntax. procmail still works
well, running the incoming mail thru clamd, then Spamd, and quite a few
kill this turkey recipes.

> > I would submit that its docs might need help, but if you read them
> > carefully, it does exactly what you tell it to do, so I've no
> > need/urge to experiment with getmail.
>
> getmail is intended as a replacement for fetchmail...
>
> http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/faq.html#faq-about-why
>
> As far as I can tell it supports Python 2 only, which is going to be
> removed from Debian.

At which point it (I assume procmail) will be replaced or fixed.

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)