Re: Using .XCompose

Hi,

From the above, it sounds to me that you are saying you would like a
*single* keypress to result in entry of the above geminate form. Do I
understand you correctly?

Yes, perfectly.

And if so, are you setting aside the question of how to enter the
simple glyph

  ങ (U+0D19)

as an exercise for later?

No. I have achieved that already. I have defined a custom layout which seems to work ok. Among other lines, this line in the layout file is relevant to the character I am talking
key <AC09>  { [  U0D41, U0D19, U0D4E, U0D71] };

I lack expertise, but am interested.

Your help is very much appreciated

So one change you could try, would be to replace
  <XK_Shift_L>
with
  <Shift_L>
in the line above.

After reading your reply in another mail, I tried that; didn't work. I tried a composing example from the files in the link you provided but couldn't get composing to work (I have given the details in another mail). I suspect that I am missing something basic (I have named the file .XCompose and it is in my home folder). Should it have a particular start or end? To test composing, my .XCompose is just
include "%L"
<Multi_key> <s> <x>                     : "✄"   U2704 # WHITE SCISSORS

Thanks,
ajith
On Tuesday, 7 July, 2020, 2:07:52 am IST, davidson <davidson@freevolt.org> wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 davidson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 05:34:59AM +0000, Ajith R wrote:
[snip]

>> I am trying to build a custom layout for my mother tongue Malayalam
>> (India, Kerala).
[snip]

>> The problem I am trying to tackle:
>>
>> One of the Malayalam letters, ങ (U+0D19), is used much more commonly
>> in its geminate form which is composed of three unicode charcters
>>
>>  ങ  ്ങ (U+0D19 U+0D4D U+0D19)
>>
>> which will yield the geminate form
>>
>>  ങ്ങ
>>
>> So, when I type, I want the ങ to be replaced with ങ്ങ.
          ^^^^ ^ ^^^^

>From the above, it sounds to me that you are saying you would like a
*single* keypress to result in entry of the above geminate form. Do I
understand you correctly?

And if so, are you setting aside the question of how to enter the
simple glyph

  ങ (U+0D19)

as an exercise for later?

I am still working towards interpreting (1) what you've done so far,
(2) what exactly you want to achieve, and (3) figuring out how I'd
solve some similar problem.

I lack expertise, but am interested.

>> The keyboard layout is working fine as far as I can see. It does
>> yield the correct letters. What doesn't seem to work is the
>> .XCompose mechanism. Please tell me what I am missing.

Not sure yet. In the meantime, I have one trivial observation to make,
below.

>> Relevant part of my layout file /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/in
>> -----------------------
>> partial alphanumeric_keys
>> xkb_symbols "mal_puthuniraA" {
>>      name[Group1] = "Malayalam (Puthu Nira Aarambham)";
>>      key.type="FOUR_LEVEL";
>>  key <AC09>  { [  U0D41, U0D19, U0D4E, U0D71] }; //  ുMALAYALAM VOWEL
>> SIGN U, ങ്ങ MALAYALAM LETTER NGA geminate form,  ൎMALAYALAM LETTER DOT REPH,
>> ൱ MALAYALAM NUMBER ONE HUNDRED
>>  include "level3(ralt_switch)"
>> };
>> My .XCompose file in my home directory is
>> include "%L"
>> <XK_Shift_L> <U0D19> : "ങ്ങ"

In XCompose(3), under FILE FORMAT, I read:

  "Keysyms are specified without the XK_ prefix."

--
What do you want to take off? [hrzF or ?*] F
You were wearing a +0 robe.  The frost giant turns to flee.