Re: Grub cannot see my new hard drive

On Fri 03 Jul 2020 at 21:04:44 (+0200), deloptes wrote:
> Matthew Campbell wrote:
>
> > Nothing seems good enough. Do you want a picture? I'm not typing all of
> > that in on my tablet.

Some people post pictures to appropriate sites when it's not possible
to copy the text (eg, in the BIOS, running Grub, etc.) but most of
my questions can be answered with files that are still readable after
the system is up and running. They should be transferrable to a system
running an email client.

> > Let's just let it go. I'm working on understanding
> > grub. I'm going to boot from a USB flash drive.

Fair enough. That's why I'm posting examples of methods that work,
which might help in your understanding.

> When I want to boot from the USB drive with GPT configured I first make sure
> the bios can understand GPT and then select "One Time Boot" (F12 after
> power on / reboot )
>
> I already lost the track here, but I wonder why it should be that hard for
> you. I have 5 PCs around (1 server, 2 desktops and 2 notebooks) - all of
> them do it the same way. Only difference is the One Time Boot key, because
> it is bios specific.
>
> If I were you I would try with USB stick of reasonable size i.e. 8-256GB
> with GPT. If it does not work on the small USB with GPT - the problem seems
> to be GPT.
> If you can boot with GPT from the USB stick, you can repeat the
> configuration on the 4TB and try the same procedure. If it fails it is
> because of the 4TB disk.
>
> Somebody mentioned grub could handle GPT. My experience (and debian
> documentation) says it can handle it, if and only if it is installed from
> GPT enabled machine. It is not possible to install grub on a disk for GPT
> from non GPT booted machine. If my knowledge is outdated, please update me.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI#Booting_from_removable_media

I think that giving this reference confirms that you are using "GPT"
to refer to two completely different things: the partitioning of the
disk, and the UEFI method of booting. This is confusing.

The OP has described a problem with a ~2006 laptop which, as far as
I can understand it, involves GPT devices (as well as MBR ones),
and *BIOS* booting.

Cheers,
David.