Re: Grub cannot see my new hard drive

David Wright wrote:

> The OP has described a problem with a ~2006 laptop which, as far as
> I can understand it, involves GPT devices (as well as MBR ones),
> and *BIOS* booting.

I am not sure if grub can boot off GPT without UEFI. I honestly never
thought of this. For me both go hand in hand. The GPT  is part of the UEFI
specs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table).

And thank you for bringing the context to my memory. Regarding support in
windows look at the tables of the WIKI link at the end of the page. It says
it requires UEFI to boot in all versions of windows 64 except server, while
on 32 it does not support booting at all around those years 2001-2009 (up
to win7).
And the note: "MBR takes precedence in hybrid configuration."
It might be that to boot off from the drive, OP would need to setup UEFI and
disable MBR boot completely.

regards

PS: Sorry but I was just thinking of trying to add a turbo on 1920 car :)