Re: Systemd user environment variables not picked up for me

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:42:51AM +0100, Thomas Pircher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experimenting with systemd environment variables. I have a file
> ~/.config/environment.d/50-default.conf where I set a few variables:
>
> > MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
> > GDK_BACKEND=wayland
> > TESTVAR=test123
>
> However, these variables are not set in my environment when I log in.

As far as I've been able to determine, this environment.d stuff does
*not* work with logins.  It seems to be designed to work only for
services that you launch with systemctl --user, or dbus, or something.

The documentation is horrible, so I have to use weasel-phrases like
"as far as I've been able to determine" and "seems to be".  It would
be lovely if the documentation would simply *say* what the feature is
intended to do, and how one actually uses it, including an example.

You may take comfort in the fact that you were not the first person
to waste a bunch of time trying to get this thing to do something that
it *looked* like it was supposed to do... but doesn't actually do.