Re: Advice on hardware server to use for small a dedicated data center

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020, 8:08 PM Fred <fred@blakemfg.com> wrote:
On 6/27/20 1:04 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> I've had good luck with Supermicro 1U servers - run two or more of them
> and it's easy to turn them into a high-available cluster.
> https://www.rackmountsetc.com/ has been pretty good to me when it comes
> to configuring & assembling Supermicro components (and suggesting
> specific configurations).  You might also look into Ganeti as a cluster
> management package (open source, originated at google for internal
> use).  Same horsepower & quality as a Dell or HP server, at a
> considerably lower price.
>
> I've been running Debian this way, in a data center, for at least a
> decade. (Note:  I'm seriously considering migrating from Debian for our
> next refresh - I really don't like systemd - might go all the way to BSD
> or an OpenSolaris distro.)
>
> One other alternative:   A lot of people seem to swear by Mac Minis as
> servers.  They're already BSD under the hood, and I've run all kinds of
> Linux distros on Macs, under virtualization.  You should be able to run
> Debian directly, though I've never tried it.
>
> Miles Fidelman
>

> On 6/26/2020 1:34 PM, echo test wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> First of all, please don't ask me why I simply don't want to use aws
>>> or gcp.
>>>
>>> Then, I want to build a small data center for my company for hosting
>>> a web app and a mail server. It's the first time I'm going to buy
>>> some hardware for this. I tried looking for it on the web in order to
>>> compare them but it seems that hardware vendors never want to talk
>>> about Debian on their websites.
>>>
>>> Seriously, I prefer using my money for donating to the Debian
>>> foundation than having to pay for Ubuntu or Red Hat Enterprise
>>> because I love Debian and ...
>>>
>>> So, I want to know if It's a good idea to try using Debian in an
>>> enterprise context, with hardwares like Dell EMC PowerEdge or Lenovo
>>> ThinkCenter which seems to never mention that they support Debian.
>>> What kind of issues can I encounter with such hardwares except simple
>>> cases like having to install missing drivers with some already
>>> available firmwares.
>>>
>>> Can you give me some alternative hardwares in case this idea may take
>>> me to much time to solve ?
>>>
>>> Note: I will need some RAID solution hard or soft.
>>>
>>> Sorry if my English is bad, it's not my mother language
>>>
>>> Thank you.

To Miles Fidelman:
Devuan Linux is Debian with all traces of systemd removed.

+1

I run, both Devuan and Debian, on my multiple systems in my Apartment, with the idea of being conversant on both Technologies.

Best regards,
Fred

Kenneth Parker