Re: Advice on hardware server to use for small a dedicated data center

I've had good luck with Supermicro 1U servers - run two or more of them and it's easy to turn them into a high-available cluster. https://www.rackmountsetc.com/ has been pretty good to me when it comes to configuring & assembling Supermicro components (and suggesting specific configurations).  You might also look into Ganeti as a cluster management package (open source, originated at google for internal use).  Same horsepower & quality as a Dell or HP server, at a considerably lower price.

I've been running Debian this way, in a data center, for at least a decade. (Note:  I'm seriously considering migrating from Debian for our next refresh - I really don't like systemd - might go all the way to BSD or an OpenSolaris distro.)

One other alternative:   A lot of people seem to swear by Mac Minis as servers.  They're already BSD under the hood, and I've run all kinds of Linux distros on Macs, under virtualization.  You should be able to run Debian directly, though I've never tried it.

Miles Fidelman