Re: Advice on hardware server to use for small a dedicated data center

Miles Fidelman wrote:
> One other alternative:???? A lot of people seem to swear by Mac Minis as
> servers.?? They're already BSD under the hood, and I've run all kinds of
> Linux distros on Macs, under virtualization.?? You should be able to run
> Debian directly, though I've never tried it.

I don't recommend them.

They are not designed for good airflow. They use laptop CPUs. In
the last few generations, they have no replaceable parts -- no
RAM changes, no SSD replacements.

(Technically you can replace the RAM on a 2018 or 2020. It's a
20-step procedure to get to "take the RAM out" and then the same
in reverse, all the while dealing with several sizes of tiny
screws and fragile components. If you already have one, it might
be worthwhile, but I wouldn't want to plan on it.)

-dsr-