Re: WINE vs Virtual Machine for Windows app on Buster

Thank you for the responses. I was looking for a general purpose solution...I can safely assume that VM soln may mostly work, while the same may not be guaranteed with use of WINE.

Can one also explain about the malware that may impact my Linux/Buster, in case I use a VM for running my Windows app and what can I do to minimise such impact.

Many thanks.

Trips

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020, 3:26 PM <l0f4r0@tuta.io> wrote:
Hi,

27 juin 2020 à 10:58 de manishtrips@gmail.com:

> Can someone advise if a VM is a better option than using WINE, to run a application built on Windows OS on Debian/Buster. Open to other suggestions as well.

Nate's already given the gist but I think you should clarify whether your question is general (any Windows-compatible application) or not (specific application).

Clearly, if your question is general there is no definitive answer. You won't have any guarantee of success because it depends on a lot of factors and on your expectations/tolerance about your experience. The cost (Windows guest OS licence) and security (compartmentalization) aspects are not the same as well!

If your question is rather specific, so you have an application in mind and you should tell us about its name at least so investigation/user feedbacks could be possible.
Here is a good start regarding Wine compatibility:  https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&sTitle=Browse Applications&sOrderBy=appName&bAscending=true

Best regards,
l0f4r0