How to pick a Subject line for a mailing list [was: have you seen this inside....]

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 03:53:08PM +1000, David wrote:

[...]

> Because your chosen Subject Header just looks like
> annoying click-bait, and we don't want that here.

This is actually an important point, so let me offer
another perspective, to complement yours.

Here's the original subject again:

    have you seen this inside....

And now, dear OP (Seeds Notoneofmy), try to walk a couple of
meters/yards in some random list reader's shoes: this list has
(very roughly) 1000 mails/month [1]. That means about 30 mails/day.

Someone picking mails will see one mail/line, with some hints from
its metadata: sender, subject, etc. and will decide, based on
them "oh, I do know something about this topic, I'll see whether
I can help" or, for example: "oh, this gal/guy has always interesting
posts, gotta read that"... or whatever.

What do you think will happen by reading that subject above?
Possibly the same as if you read

  THIS 10 WEIRD TRICKS WILL MAKE YOU RICH

or something ;-)

> If you want smart people to help you for free, it's wise to
> communicate respectfully. They have better things
> to do than click on some meaningless link to find out what
> some careless person wrote in there.

Exactly. So

  (a) help us help you
  (b) help us make this place a nice place, with its roughly
     3200 inhabitants :-)

> No offence intended, I am just trying to help you fit in here
> and thus get the kind of replies that you hope for.

Thanks for bringing that up, cheers
-- t