Re: Disabling recommends - was [Re: bash-completion pros/cons]

On Thu 18 Jun 2020 at 14:41:19 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 06:48:26AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > On 06/18/2020 03:13 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > >On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:53:55AM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > >
> > >[...]
> > >
> > >Or file a bug report?
> > >
> > >;-P
> > >

> > Questions to ask before filing a bug report (even a wishlist):
> >   1. Is it a "bug" or a "feature"?
>
> *If* Brian is right with his assessment (and I haven't a reason to doubt
> it, though I haven't checked either), I'd say it isn't a feature. Either
> the program or the doc should be corrected.

I agree with what you say (apart from the big "If" ;) ). I think Richard
is concerned that when it comes to installing a desktop the Recommends:
are pulled in spite of preseeding with "recommends=false". Considering
the Guide in 6.3.5 says:

  The rule described above only takes effect after this point in
  the installation process.

that is a reasonable concern. A bug submitted against the Guide would
not be out of place.

> >   2. Do I "know" something that is not actually true?
>
> That is anyone's guess. I know I know many things which aren't true.
> But alas, I don't know which ones ;-)

Are these classed as known unknowns or unknown knowns?

--
Brian.