Re: bash-completion pros/cons

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 02:47:38PM -0500, David Wright wrote:

[...]

> Where bash-completion does get in the way for me is, for example,
> where you download a file that's, say, a PDF but it arrives via wget
> called, say, index_0001.3872359.html, for whatever reason.
> So you type   xpdf inde [TAB]   and bash-completion refuses to
> complete the name any further [...]

Now you describe it so thoroughly, I think that was actually the
trigger for my decision. I had bash-completion installed (possibly
via recommends) and this happened to me. Upon deeper inspection,
I found out what was happening, and after looking into what that
package does, I went "nifty, but hell, no -- not for me".

A couple of those led me to disable recommends completely. It seems
I'm a freak monster or sometning ;-@

Cheers
-- t