Re: Disabling recommends - was [Re: bash-completion pros/cons]

On Wed 17 Jun 2020 at 14:15:05 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> > Section 5.3.2 of the Installation Guide has the preseed option
> >
> >  recommends=false
> >
> > as the way of disabling recommended packages:
> >
> >   By setting this option to false, the package management system
> >   will be configured to not automatically install "Recommends",
> >   both during the installation and for the installed system.
> >
> > My observations indicate that the first claim does not work for
> > installing the base system or additional software, but the second
> > configuration is carried out.
>
> I presume that by "second configuration" you mean that the installer
> leaves the desired option in /target/etc/apt/ when it quits.

Indeed I do.

> What's visible from the installer's logs is that Recommends are
> sometimes installed, and sometime not, and that it's controlled
> by the commandline, overriding any configuration inserted into either
> of /target/etc/apt/ or /etc/apt/¹. Of course, I have no idea how the
> d-i constructs those commandlines.

AFAICT, it appears Recommends are *always* installed using the Installer,
irrespective of preseeding. Not *sometimes*.

> > It seems me that Richard's goal is unachievable.
>
> To me, it would make a little more sense to examine the installed
> system at length and see what can be taken out. I think the "OP"
> already has received methods of determining "top-level" packages.

That is what I do. At the same time, we have the issue that

  recommends=false

is apparently ignored. That is the essential issue. Should he choose to,
Richard Owlett will confirm that this is the case.

> AFAICT, all installs run debootstrap, but under the hood. But having
> learnt it, perhaps you'll be able to unpick its logs better than I can.

debootstrap is only run during the installation of the base system. It
installs recommended packages. That is in contradiction to what the
Manual says.

> > Section 6.3.5 of the Installation Guide says:
> >
> >   For technical reasons packages installed during the installation
> >   of the base system are installed without their "Recommends".
> >
> > I observere this is not correct, irrespective of "recommends=false".
>
> I don't know exactly what they mean by "base system". It's certainly
> true that one step is carried out with --no-install-recommends set:
> it's large (wrt number of packages), replaces the kernel that has just
> been installed previously (with its Recommends) and performs an upgrade.
> Perhaps that is all that's meant.

Base System is the set of important packages installed after partitioning
is carried out.