Re: KDE run Dolphin as root?

On 6/15/20 1:05 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Lu, 15 iun 20, 12:47:59, Gary L. Roach wrote:
I assume that with respect to the original message that it should be obvious
that the root user problem stems from the underlying Debian OS. Someone in
the Debian hierarchy decided that root Dolphin was too much of a security
risk. So the problem has propagated to at least a half dozen other distros
(Ubuntu,Kubuntu, Mint) to name a couple.
Do you have any source for this claim?

Debian tends to do little if any customization to such big software
packages like KDE (there simply aren't enough resources for it), with
the obvious exception of integrating it with the rest of the system.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Hi all,

Andrei, after thinking about your question for a while I realized that I use KDE5 for just about everything. I'm even using Kubuntu for my Ubuntu installation. I really don't care for Ubuntu's Gnome desktop. Personal preference. That may have to change. I just loaded up the latest Kubuntu version (20.04) and now, not only is Dolphin completely locked out as a  root user, they have now locked out everything. I can't even read a root directory. Everything is grayed out. So to hell with Dolphin. I loaded in Nemo and took the memory hit from all of the Gnome support packages. With two one terabyte drives and 16 GB of ram. who cares. Apologies for slandering Debian but if they want to keep using KDE as their desktop they had better bring the hammer down on someone in the KDE hierarchy . I now have to start communications with the Elmerfem people who have religated their GUI Qt4 problems from a bug to an inhancement. I have gotten warnings from several different sources that Debian is dropping Qt4 because of maintenance problems up line. One of these days I may get a working physics modeling setup.

Regards

Gary R.