I would like to be able to disconnect the internal hard drive in the laptop. I'll need to turn off the laptop before moving it so I can look for that model number. I hope to get to that soon. I can't do that at the moment. My ISP forbids me to run my own email server at home.

name=Matthew%20Campbell&email=trenix25%40pm.me

-------- Original Message --------
On Jun 13, 2020, 3:44 PM, David Christensen < dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

Matthew Campell -- Whatever client software you are using for e-mail, it
is not indenting previous message content when you reply. This makes it
very hard to follow the conversation, especially when there are replies
to replies, to replies, to replies, etc.. Rather than trying to fix the
problems with your message, I am going to remove all of the previous
content. Please configure your mailer to indent replies, or use a
mailer that does so. I use the version of Thunderbird that comes with
Debian:

# apt-get install thunderbird

On 2020-06-13 12:38, Matthew Campbell wrote:

> man: command not found
> Therefore no man -k

When posting console sessions, post everything -- the prompt, the
command you entered, and the output obtained. Denote and remove
extraneous output -- "<snip>" is conventional.

For example, my suggestion regarding apropos(1) and man(1):

2020-06-13 14:14:03 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ apropos grub
grub-bios-setup (8) - set up a device to boot using GRUB
grub-editenv (1) - edit GRUB environment block
grub-file (1) - check file type
<snip>

2020-06-13 14:14:05 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ man grub-bios-setup
<snip>

> Toshiba Satellite laptop, possibly P19 or P190, something like that. I don't remember and can't find it. > enp10s8 10-baseT ethernet
> wlp3s0 2.4 & 5 GHz wifi adapter (uses nonfree firmware package, already downloaded)
>
> Intel Centrino Core 2 CPU T5200 @ 1.60 GHz
>
> 2048 MB of RAM, type & number of pins unknown, laptop profile
>
> /dev/sda: Toshiba MK1234GS, 111.8 GiB (Internal)
> /dev/sr0: MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-850S , DVD R/W (Internal IDE)
> /dev/sdb: Toshiba External USB 3.0 3.7 TiB
> /dev/sdc: PNY 32 USB 2.0 FD 28.9 GiB
>
> System BIOS version: V3.30
> UUID: C08D94F8158FD811815F001636D1AA94
>
> Memory: 640 kB + 2047 MB

> Boot order:
>
> CD/DVD
> PNY USB 2.0 FD - (USB 2.0)
> TOSHIBA MK1234GSXIDE S
> WD 2500BMV Eternal - (USB 2.0)
> FDD (Not present)
> LAN (Not configured)

> Windows Vista factory installed on /dev/sda2 (Boot flag active) (Only Windows)
> Debian Linux installed on /dev/sdb1 (Could not set the boot flag) (Only Linux)

> Grub when booting /dev/sda. Grub enters rescue mode. Used ls [and it displayed the names 'hd0' and 'hd1'].

> All USB ports are USB 2.0.

> Plugged [USB flash drive] in and booted. Uses DOS MBR. /dev/sdc1 set to active. Uses ext4.

Thank you for the information. This will allow people to make informed
recommendations.

The Dynabook/ Toshiba web site says the model/ part/ serial number
information should be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop, or laser
etched into the bottom. But, your laptop might have information
elsewhere. Try looking under the battery.

I like to update the BIOS to the latest version:

https://support.dynabook.com/support/family?fname=Satellite

Entering "P90" and "P190" into the edit box makes me think your laptop
is no longer supported. We need a model number, part number, serial
number, etc., to know for sure. And, we can also STFW.

I like to use the manufacturer diagnostic utility to wipe and test hard
drives:

https://storage.toshiba.com/consumer-hdd/support/product

Entering "MK1234GS" and "MK1234GSXIDE" into the edit box makes me think
your HDD is no longer supported. But, there are many FOSS tools that
you can use instead.

The simplest approach is to dedicate the laptop to Debian. Backup all
of your Windows Vista data. Then zero-fill the HDD with dd(1), download
the following ISO image, and burn it to CD-R media

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/9.12.0/i386/iso-cd/debian-9.12.0-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso

Then install Debian. Here are the installation notes for my daily
driver. Note that I only use the first ~14 GB, so that I can transfer
the image between various "16 GB" devices:

Debian GNU/Linux installer boot menu Install
Language C
Continent or region North America
Country, territory or area United States
Keymap to use American English
Primary network interface eth0
Hostname tinkywinky
Domain name tracy.holgerdanske.com
Root password ********
Full name for the new user Debian
Username for your account debian
Choose a password for the new user ********
Select your time zone Pacific
Partitioning method manual
Encrypted volume (sda2_crypt) - 1.0 GB Linux device-mapper (crypt)
#1 1.0 GB f swap swap
Encrypted volume (sda3_crypt) - 12.0 GB Linux device-mapper (crypt)
#1 12.0 GB f ext4 /
SCSI5 (0,0,0) (sda) - 60.0 GB ATA INTEL SSDSC2CW06
#1 primary 999.3 MB B F ext4 /boot
#2 primary 1.0 GB K crypto
#3 primary 12.0 GB K crypto
46.0 GB FREESPACE
Finish partitioning and write changes to disk
Use a network mirror Yes
Mirror country United States
Archive mirror ftp.us.debian.org
HTTP proxy <blank>
Participate in the package usage survey No
Choose software to install
Debian desktop environment
Xfce
print server
SSH server
standard system utilities
Install GRUB into master boot record Yes
Device /dev/sda
Installation complete Continue

David