Re: Fw: Grub cannot see my new hard drive

Matthew Campell -- Whatever client software you are using for e-mail, it is not indenting previous message content when you reply. This makes it very hard to follow the conversation, especially when there are replies to replies, to replies, to replies, etc.. Rather than trying to fix the problems with your message, I am going to remove all of the previous content. Please configure your mailer to indent replies, or use a mailer that does so. I use the version of Thunderbird that comes with Debian:

# apt-get install thunderbird

On 2020-06-13 12:38, Matthew Campbell wrote:

> man: command not found
> Therefore no man -k

When posting console sessions, post everything -- the prompt, the command you entered, and the output obtained. Denote and remove extraneous output -- "<snip>" is conventional.

For example, my suggestion regarding apropos(1) and man(1):

2020-06-13 14:14:03 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ apropos grub
grub-bios-setup (8)  - set up a device to boot using GRUB
grub-editenv (1)     - edit GRUB environment block
grub-file (1)        - check file type
<snip>

2020-06-13 14:14:05 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ man grub-bios-setup
<snip>

Toshiba Satellite laptop, possibly P19 or P190, something like that. I don't remember and can't find it. > enp10s8 10-baseT ethernet
wlp3s0 2.4 & 5 GHz wifi adapter (uses nonfree firmware package, already downloaded)

Intel Centrino Core 2 CPU T5200 @ 1.60 GHz

2048 MB of RAM, type & number of pins unknown, laptop profile

/dev/sda: Toshiba MK1234GS, 111.8 GiB (Internal)
/dev/sr0: MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-850S , DVD R/W (Internal IDE)
/dev/sdb: Toshiba External USB 3.0 3.7 TiB
/dev/sdc: PNY 32 USB 2.0 FD 28.9 GiB

System BIOS version: V3.30
UUID: C08D94F8158FD811815F001636D1AA94

Memory: 640 kB + 2047 MB

Boot order:

CD/DVD
PNY USB 2.0 FD - (USB 2.0)
TOSHIBA MK1234GSXIDE S
WD 2500BMV Eternal - (USB 2.0)
FDD (Not present)
LAN (Not configured)

Windows Vista factory installed on /dev/sda2 (Boot flag active) (Only Windows)
Debian Linux installed on /dev/sdb1 (Could not set the boot flag) (Only Linux)

Grub when booting /dev/sda. Grub enters rescue mode. Used ls [and it displayed the names 'hd0' and 'hd1'].

All USB ports are USB 2.0.

Plugged [USB flash drive] in and booted. Uses DOS MBR. /dev/sdc1 set to active. Uses ext4.

Thank you for the information. This will allow people to make informed recommendations.

The Dynabook/ Toshiba web site says the model/ part/ serial number information should be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop, or laser etched into the bottom. But, your laptop might have information elsewhere. Try looking under the battery.

I like to update the BIOS to the latest version:

https://support.dynabook.com/support/family?fname=Satellite

Entering "P90" and "P190" into the edit box makes me think your laptop is no longer supported. We need a model number, part number, serial number, etc., to know for sure. And, we can also STFW.

I like to use the manufacturer diagnostic utility to wipe and test hard drives:

https://storage.toshiba.com/consumer-hdd/support/product

Entering "MK1234GS" and "MK1234GSXIDE" into the edit box makes me think your HDD is no longer supported. But, there are many FOSS tools that you can use instead.

The simplest approach is to dedicate the laptop to Debian. Backup all of your Windows Vista data. Then zero-fill the HDD with dd(1), download the following ISO image, and burn it to CD-R media

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/9.12.0/i386/iso-cd/debian-9.12.0-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso

Then install Debian. Here are the installation notes for my daily driver. Note that I only use the first ~14 GB, so that I can transfer the image between various "16 GB" devices:

    Debian GNU/Linux installer boot menu        Install
    Language                                    C
    Continent or region                         North America
    Country, territory or area                  United States
    Keymap to use                               American English
    Primary network interface                   eth0
    Hostname                                    tinkywinky
    Domain name                                 tracy.holgerdanske.com
    Root password                               ********
    Full name for the new user                  Debian
    Username for your account                   debian
    Choose a password for the new user          ********
    Select your time zone                       Pacific
    Partitioning method                         manual
    Encrypted volume (sda2_crypt) - 1.0 GB Linux device-mapper (crypt)
         #1             1.0 GB     f  swap          swap
    Encrypted volume (sda3_crypt) - 12.0 GB Linux device-mapper (crypt)
         #1            12.0 GB     f  ext4          /
    SCSI5 (0,0,0) (sda) - 60.0 GB ATA INTEL SSDSC2CW06
         #1  primary  999.3 MB  B  F  ext4          /boot
         #2  primary    1.0 GB     K  crypto
         #3  primary   12.0 GB     K  crypto
                       46.0 GB        FREESPACE
    Finish partitioning and write changes to disk
    Use a network mirror                        Yes
    Mirror country                              United States
    Archive mirror                              ftp.us.debian.org
    HTTP proxy                                  <blank>
    Participate in the package usage survey     No
    Choose software to install
        Debian desktop environment
            Xfce
        print server
        SSH server
        standard system utilities
    Install GRUB into master boot record        Yes
    Device                                      /dev/sda
    Installation complete                       Continue

David