Re: [solved] Re: SimpleBackportCreation attempt says: The value 'unstable' is invalid for APT::Default-Release

On Sb, 13 iun 20, 15:30:08, David wrote:
> Hi, first thank-you to everyone who replied for taking an interest in
> assisting me and improving Debian guides. I feel very lucky to have access
> to you folks here with expertise and experience plus the goodwill to help
> someone without expecting anything in return.
>
> I will summarise and respond to all in this one message.

Excellent summary :)

> Thanks to Andrei for locating a relevant bug report
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=441178#75
> and suggesting this workaround:
>
>   $ apt source cgdb/unstable
>
> I confirm that worked here, thank you!
>
> As an aside, how did you find this, I am very curious, what are people's
> methods for searching for bugs? Because over the years I have tried on many
> occasions to search at https://www.debian.org/Bugs/ for various things but
> I just never feel comfortable with the interface there (eg why is the
> search restricted by suite) and I never seem to have much success at
> finding anything useful. Does anyone have any tips for successful bug
> searching?

Experience, and in this particular case I also got lucky ;)

I started from:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=apt

and did a text search on 'source'. The subject for the third hit looked
very much like your problem.

(Note the 'src=apt' which searches for bug packages in the 'apt' source
package, just in case the bug is some of the other binary packages
provided by src:apt. It wasn't helpful here here, just something to be
aware of in general.)

By the way, I only bothered to go looking for a bug because you
demonstrated the problem quite clearly, i.e. I was pretty sure there was
something to find.

You helped us help you :)

> How do you know which suite that command downloads the source from?

Very important to remember:

APT will always select the highest version available, *unless* it's
overridden by pinning[1] or you select a specific version
('package/release' or 'package=version').

So in practice '-t/--target-release' is necessary to override APT's
default selection temporarily and for *all* packages to be downloaded
and/or installed with that command[2].

[1] As per apt-get(8) using -t/--target-release or setting
APT::Default-Release is the same as pinning that release to 990.

[2] The -t/--target-release option is better suited for getting a
package *and* its dependencies from a specific release (e.g. backports).
It could have unintended effects if a package's dependencies can be
satisfied in either release.

Hope this explains,
Andrei