Re: [solved] Re: SimpleBackportCreation attempt says: The value 'unstable' is invalid for APT::Default-Release

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 at 18:57, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sb, 13 iun 20, 15:30:08, David wrote:

> > As an aside, how did you find this, I am very curious, what are people's
> > methods [...]  Does anyone have any tips for successful bug
> > searching?

> I started from:
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=apt
>
> and did a text search on 'source'. The subject for the third hit looked
> very much like your problem.
>
> (Note the 'src=apt' which searches for bug packages in the 'apt' source
> package, just in case the bug is some of the other binary packages
> provided by src:apt. It wasn't helpful here here, just something to be
> aware of in general.)

Thanks for showing that method, that is helpful and I will note it for
future reference.

> > How do you know which suite that command downloads the source from?

> Very important to remember:
>
> APT will always select the highest version available [...]

Thanks, I had forgotten to remember that apt uses numeric priorities.
Sometimes I need to be reminded of things.

It's explained quite well here:
https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.apt-get.html#sect.apt.priorities

> Hope this explains,

Very well, thanks Andrei.