Re: Question for users of Thunderbird on buster

Virgo Pärna wrote on 6/11/20 1:27 AM:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 14:10:45 -0600, D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For example:
>>   if I type the "-" character twice in a row, Thunderbird displays only one,
>> even though both characters are present in the text
>>   if I type the "<" character twice in a row, Thunderbird converts the two
>> "less than" characters into a single "much less than" character when it
>> displays them, even though the text actually contains the two "<" characters
>>

> 	What happens, if you change the default composition font. Sounds
> like those are rendered as ligatures. I'm using Windows, but when I set
> monospace font to Cascadia code, I started getting similar issues.

Oh, that's very interesting. Yep, changing font "fixed" the problem.

It's a puzzle why someone thought would think that this would be a good way
for the rendering engine to work. I can think of a few of reasons for it NOT
to behave this way, and none for why it's a good idea.

I'll have to dig in and see if there's a way to turn it off. I'll look at the
details of the font as well; I'm not at all sure what exactly is telling TB
"if you see two consecutive "less-than" signs, then render them as a single
"much less than" character. No other program seems to be doing it, so it seems
to be a TB decision somewhere; but since it seems to be font-dependent, TB
must (presumably) be looking at some characteristic of the font before
deciding to make the substitution. Very strange.

Thanks for the suggestion that it might be dependent on the font.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans