Re: Investigating internals of Debian packages

On 6/11/20 05:03, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm interested in the installer  menu titled "Software Selection".
> I want to know explicitly what happens when "Debian desktop environment"
> and/or "MATE" is checked.

Pretty much the same thing that happens when you enter the command
"tasksel," I think.

/usr/bin/tasksel is a perl program, so not impossible for a human to
read and understand. It is less difficult than many perl programs I have
seen, and it also has a man page indicating that it has a test mode that
does nothing, as well as several information options.

In test mode it runs much as you see during and install, but instead of
doing the requested action, it prints on the terminal the apt command
that would be run. (Note that you would have to do this as root or using
the sudo command).

Synaptic or probably aptitude could then be used to identify which
packages would be installed. In the alternative, you could capture the
output and run it in test mode, which would show fairly precisely the
effect.

Regards,
Tom Dial