Question for users of Thunderbird on buster

As far as I can tell, no one else using other OSes seems to be having this
problem, so maybe it's a Thunderbird-on-buster issue that needs to be reported
somewhere. Or maybe it's just my system for some obscure reason

So, with current buster, the installed version of Thunderbird is 68.8.0.

I have Thunderbird configured to generate ordinary plain-text e-mails (like
this one).

When composing an e-mail, something (and I assume it's Thunderbird because I
can't guess what else might do this) is attempting to be "intelligent" and is
interpreting sequences of characters instead of just leaving them alone when
they are displayed.

For example:
  if I type the "-" character twice in a row, Thunderbird displays only one,
even though both characters are present in the text
  if I type the "<" character twice in a row, Thunderbird converts the two
"less than" characters into a single "much less than" character when it
displays them, even though the text actually contains the two "<" characters

So on the next line I type the "-" character twice:
 --
and on the next line I type the "<" character twice:
 <<

Are other people seeing the same behaviour?

  Doc

PS I have tried turning off all add-ons and restarting Thunderbird, but it
made no difference.

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans