Re: Unable to boot new buster installation

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:53:53AM -0700, Gary L. Roach wrote:
> On 6/10/20 5:17 AM, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> > On dimanche 7 juin 2020 21:14:20 CEST Gary L. Roach wrote:
> > > I recently up graded this system to Bullseye and then ran into trouble
> > > with the lack of Qt4  and had to re-install Buster. The installation
> > > went fine until kde desktop tried to start. The system froze with the
> > > following message:
> > >
> > > The current input timing is not supported by the monitor
> > > display. Pleas change your input timing to 1920x1200@60Hz or any other
> > > monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications.
> > Is the login/password window showing up ?
> >
> > Does this message show before or after logging in ?
> >
> > > I'm using a Dell U2412M monitor on an AMD 64 4 core system. The monitor
> > > worked fine before and still works fine on another computer. I tried
> > > both xrandr and compiz in Recovery Mode. In both cases I got "Can't open
> > > display".
> > In recovery mode, xorg is not running so xrandr has no X server to connect to.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> The sequence of events on boot up are Bios screen, Debian Window with OS
> selection, Boot up sequence, login/password ( Xorg not running), startx ->
> error window. So to answer your question, the message is after
> login/password.
>
> I hope this gives you some incite to my problem. I tried the other
> suggestions with no results.
>
> Question: Where is the file that contains the display setup (ie refresh
> rate, resolution.) Where would randr get its information if Xorg was
> running?

That might be actually your issue here. If you at one point created a
xorg.conf (check "man xorg.conf" for all possible locations) it might
get in your way. By default a modesetting server is started which
collects the monitor's EDID information and sets the modeline
automagically.
Would you try moving any existing xorg.conf out of the way and
starting xorg without?

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com