Re: Unable to boot new buster installation

On 6/10/20 5:17 AM, Dominique Dumont wrote:
On dimanche 7 juin 2020 21:14:20 CEST Gary L. Roach wrote:
I recently up graded this system to Bullseye and then ran into trouble
with the lack of Qt4  and had to re-install Buster. The installation
went fine until kde desktop tried to start. The system froze with the
following message:

The current input timing is not supported by the monitor
display. Pleas change your input timing to 1920x1200@60Hz or any other
monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications.
Is the login/password window showing up ?

Does this message show before or after logging in ?

I'm using a Dell U2412M monitor on an AMD 64 4 core system. The monitor
worked fine before and still works fine on another computer. I tried
both xrandr and compiz in Recovery Mode. In both cases I got "Can't open
display".
In recovery mode, xorg is not running so xrandr has no X server to connect to.

HTH

The sequence of events on boot up are Bios screen, Debian Window with OS selection, Boot up sequence, login/password ( Xorg not running), startx -> error window. So to answer your question, the message is after login/password.

I hope this gives you some incite to my problem. I tried the other suggestions with no results.

Question: Where is the file that contains the display setup (ie refresh rate, resolution.) Where would randr get its information if Xorg was running?

I would have responded sooner but have been hit with a severe case of Vertigo.

Gary R