Re: Return a Debian system to a pristine state

On Lu, 08 iun 20, 14:32:29, David Wright wrote:

> I was impressed by apt-get's performance, probably because of dim
> memories of how dpkg would react on being asked to install ~2000
> packages at once. The latter doesn't have the logic for sorting
> operations into a sequence that preserves an unbroken system.

It's unclear to me what you meant by that.

Unless you use one of the --force options (at your own risk, of course)
dpkg will refuse actions that go against (Pre-)Depends, Conflicts and
Breaks.

The difference between dpkg and apt in this regard is that dpkg acts
only on the set of packages it was provided.

    User: dpkg, remove this package
    dpkg: nope, this will break these other packages
    User: apt, remove this package
    apt: sure, in addition these other packages must be removed because
    they depend on it
    User: ok, go ahead
    apt: dpkg, remove this set of packages
    dpkg: sure, done

    User: dpkg, install this package
    dpkg: nope, it depends on these other packages that are neither
    installed nor were provided at the same time
    User: apt, install this package
    apt: sure, in addition these other packages must be downloaded and
    installed to fulfill dependencies (and recommendations)
    User: whatever, do it already
    apt: ok, downloading... done
    apt: dpkg, install this set of packages
    dpkg: sure, done