Re: Can't get started

On Sat 30 May 2020 at 08:27:14 (+0300), Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 29 mai 20, 14:51:23, David Wright wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure which default you mean.
>
> The defaults of the user-oriented network managers, like Network Manager
> and Wicd. They provide a much friendlier experience for laptops that are
> carried around and are frequently connected to different wireless
> networks.

I deliberately avoided assuming that such packages had already
been installed. I always have to install wicd after the first
reboot, by which time I have reestablished connectivity with
ifupdown just as I described in this thread. (I don't use NM.)

My only worry was whether systemd-networkd gives way gracefully
to a configured ifupdown, or fights it like systemd-timesyncd vs ntp.

> > I've yet to see any virtue in using a static configuration¹ at home
> > and dhcp everywhere else.
>
> [...]
>
> > ¹ Static, that is, from the point of view of the PC. I use static
> > IP numbers, but they're issued by the router, which makes spotting
> > any interlopers easier (assuming you reserve a range for
> > "foreign" assignment).
>
> ISP provided router with no support for DHCP reservations, combined with
> running something like barrier on the laptop.

I can't understand what you're trying to describe here. My footnote
was to explain that I appreciate a desire to have fixed IP addresses
for devices when they're at home, but they're not going to hold as
soon as you leave. I reserve everything up to .199 on my main router
for devices we own, so that casual devices will appear as .2xx.
Again, it's just a convenience.

But none of that is essential for making a connection. I can't tell
whether you're just saying that the OP might not be able to copy my
particular setup (so what?), or describing some extraordinary ISPs
who rent out routers that would prevent my suggestion of putting
dhcp in /e/n/i from working at all.

BTW what's barrier?

Cheers,
David.