Re: waaay offtopic

On Wednesday 27 May 2020 21:12:44 Nate Bargmann wrote:

> Hi Gene.
>
> I've had the same exact model since last September.  Overall it's a
> good phone except my older Motorola could get data and service in
> places this one won't.  Getting used to Android in 2013 had me
> befuddled for a bit but a bit with a tutorial got me going.  My A10e
> is running Android 9, a.k.a. Pie.  One thing I have noticed is that in
> some settings screens at the bottom (might have to scroll by dragging
> your finger along the screen) there are links to related options.
>
> Your finger(s) is the mouse.  There are a number of gestures that will
> soon become second nature.  A lot is down by tapping one finger on an
> icon/item or dragging it around the screen.  Zooming out and in is
> usually a thumb and forefinger squeeze together or apart,
> respectively. On some things an additional function is performed by
> pressing and holding on the item (if you have an Elecraft K3 you'll be
> familiar with the concept).
>
> Android doesn't use the left/right swipe gesture as much as Apple iOS,
> but it does for some crucial things like changing from your home
> screen to another screen by swiping on your wall paper.  Also, there
> is a quick menu to various settings and features by dragging down from
> the top of the screen.  Finally, one of the things I was used to on
> the older versions of Android and what I had to enable was leaving the
> "Home bar" on the screen all the time and since I was used to the
> position, setting the back (left) arrow on that bar to the left end of
> it.  Much like Debian there is much to explore and learn.
>
> Typing on the screen is the very slowest thing I do as I want type a
> lot like on a real keyboard.  I have not adapted to thumbs only for
> typing after seven years and I doubt that I ever will.
>
> At the time I considered a Google Pixel but the lack of being able to
> insert a microSD card kept me away.  I don't know if their RF
> capability is better than this Sammy or not.
>
> - Nate

Its different, thats for sure, all I've ever used is a tracfone, hundred
$ a year model, nothing but a phone. Camera is worthless. My boys have
all got something like it, but so many buttons along the edge they can't
call up a pix they want to show me but when I touch it I somehow push a
button and it all goes away.  So they dig it out again and hold it for
me. And I was bound that whatever I bought, wasn't going to have all
those gotcha buttons on the edge.  That leaves the iphones on the
counter. First thing is apparently a bigger memory card. Getting out the
eject clip I see an empty hole for a u-sd, so I put a blank 64GB in it.
It found it on power-up and I made it the default pix storage location.
But while the cameras both look good I've not taken any rat eradicators
yet. I need to get something here wifi enabled so I don't run my sprint
bill up. Just getting the weather does that. I probably need to update
my dd-wrt router and enable the wifi in it, but I'll have to set it so
the neighbors are locked out, probably by catching this ones MAC and
disallowing anything else.  I did have it on so my boys could use it
when they were here, but found the neighbors were too, to the tune of
about 100GB a month. So I turned that off, and have done the same with
the pi4 running my big lathe, the neighbors were using that too.  Now
I've an excuse to re-enable the radio. And you folks get to see an old
fart, one whose kids intro as the smartest man in any building he's in,
drug kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.  I am sure some
hilarity will ensue.

Thanks Nate.  Stay safe and well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)