Re: Can't get started

On 2020-05-27 17:15, Matthew Campbell wrote:
The netinst CD leaves a lot to be desired. I had to download a nonfree wifi firmware package with my tablet and install it just to get the Linux system on the laptop to recognize the wifi adapter. I still can't get the wifi to work which makes installation impossible. Many of the network related commands do not exist. I cannot just download a package without being able to connect the laptop to the Internet which is impossible if I can't get a wifi connection. I am using Debian 10.4 Buster on a laptop that uses an Intel Centrino Duo CPU. My wifi adapter is registering as wlp3s0. Each "package" to be installed requires the single use of a blank DVD to transfer the file to Linux. I have a very limited number of blank DVDs. It is up, but down, according to ip addr. It says no carrier. The wifi is on and available. The signal strength is sufficient. It is presently offering an open wifi access point. The ssid is correct. How do I fix this? I cannot connect a phone or any other device to the laptop to help "get it started," nor should I need to. The netinst CD should have everything a new user could need to get things working.

name=Matthew%20Campbell&email=trenix25%40pm.me

Licensing and philosophical issues cause all kinds of problems for free/ open-source software. The trick is to find another way to accomplish your goal.

Don't use optical media for "sneaker net", use USB flash drives.

I would try an installer that includes non-free firmware:

https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/

If that doesn't work, the easiest approach would be to buy a USB network adapter that is supported by the Debian installer, plug it in, do the install, reboot, and set up Wi-Fi (see below).

Otherwise, the first step is to get Debian installed on the laptop:

1.  Use a complete installer image and do an off-network installation:

    debian-10.4.0-arm64-xfce-CD-1.iso

2. Pull the HDD/SSD, put it into another computer that has a supported network interface, and install.

3. Boot a live distribution and clone a Debian system image onto the HDD/SSD.

Once you have a working Debian installation, follow the Debian Wiki "WiFi" page:

    https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

David