Re: apt has a bug, cannot believe it!

Marco M??ller wrote:
> So, no "undo" is in apt available, its database does not store sufficient
> information for it.  :-(  This is what I see as a severe bug.

There is no undo for apt. There is uninstall, and purge.

Suppose you install Feeblix, which recommends libfoo, and Barganza,
which also recommends libfoo, and you then write Scrobblo which
uses libfoo.

Now you uninstall Feeblix. What should happen to libfoo?

> Manual bumbling is now needed. Fortunately I have only used the 'apt'
> command for all installations, from the beginning, and not used apt-get
> directly or aptitude or synaptic.

Those all update the same installed package database and draw
from the same sources.

> Therefore I at least have a complete log
> on all manually given 'apt install' commands  in /var/log/apt/history.log  ,

That file should update from any action from apt, apt-get,
aptitude or synaptic.

> As I am still quite new here on the Debian mailing lists, was this a topic
> before? Does it qualify for a bug report for motivating some clever
> programmers to enhance the apt cache with logging the necessary information?
> Or was it already an overheating topic in the past and I better don't spark?

It's just the way it is. If you wanted to implement an apt undo
action, you could define its behavior carefully and send in a
patch. You should probably look through the apt maintainer team
archives, first, though.

https://lists.debian.org/deity/

-dsr-