Re: Hmmm... /boot is too small. what's the best way to increase it's size?

Hi Rick,

On Sat, May 09, 2020 at 08:05:48PM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
> What's the best way to increase the size of /boot ?

There is no easy way. If you boot into a live/rescue environment and
run parted you *may* be able to shrink your LVM and grow your /boot
but it's a procedure fraught with danger; make sure you have
excellent backups first.

I am not 100% sure that parted can handle partitions that are used
as LVM PVs.

> I can easily create a gig or so of space by a shrink/resize of /home, but how do I add that space to /dev/sda2 ?

This won't work because your /home is an LVM logical volume. Its
actual extents could be all over sda3.

> I can't just move up the end of /dev/sda2 = start of /dev/sda3 without backing up and restoring, can I?

parted can move partitions about, so if you run it from outside your
install and it does support LVM PV then it might work. You'd
basically have to shift everything up the disk, making your PV
(sda3) slightly smaller in the process.

I really wouldn't like to try it myself. With the backup that you'll
need you may as well just reinstall as even if parted can do this it
will take some time for it to rewrite all that data.

This is a great example of why it's not good to be stingy with the
size of /boot.

Cheers,
Andy