Re: Hmmm... /boot is too small. what's the best way to increase it's size?

On 2020-05-09 at 23:36, Andy Smith wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> On Sat, May 09, 2020 at 08:05:48PM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
>> What's the best way to increase the size of /boot ?
>
> There is no easy way. If you boot into a live/rescue environment and
> run parted you *may* be able to shrink your LVM and grow your /boot
> but it's a procedure fraught with danger; make sure you have
> excellent backups first.
>
> I am not 100% sure that parted can handle partitions that are used as
> LVM PVs.
>
>> I can easily create a gig or so of space by a shrink/resize of
>> /home, but how do I add that space to /dev/sda2 ?
>
> This won't work because your /home is an LVM logical volume. Its
> actual extents could be all over sda3.
>
>> I can't just move up the end of /dev/sda2 = start of /dev/sda3
>> without backing up and restoring, can I?
>
> parted can move partitions about, so if you run it from outside your
> install and it does support LVM PV then it might work. You'd
> basically have to shift everything up the disk, making your PV (sda3)
> slightly smaller in the process.
>
> I really wouldn't like to try it myself. With the backup that you'll
> need you may as well just reinstall as even if parted can do this it
> will take some time for it to rewrite all that data.

In theory I *think* it should be possible to shrink /home, shrink the
LV, shrink the PV, then expand /boot - but the practice may be quite
different from the theory.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/479545/how-to-shrink-a-physical-volume
has detailed instructions on how to do one part of the process, and
indicates that gparted can indeed handle LVM PVs - but whether it's
suitable for the actual scenario at hand here probably depends on how
you've got your PVs and LVs set up, and I don't know enough about that
to make a recommendation, aside from being very careful with backups no
matter what.

(I'm also up late, so don't necessarily trust me to have things right at
the moment; double-check before going ahead, and if in doubt, don't.)

> This is a great example of why it's not good to be stingy with the
> size of /boot.

Definitely. My current system started out with around 4-8 TB of usable
space (across all partitions, after RAID overhead) when I first built
it, and I have fully 22GB allocated to /boot. That's ridiculous overkill
- even 1GB would probably have been more than I'm likely to ever need
here, and 2GB would definitely have - but I'd far rather have erred on
the side of too much than too little.

--
   The Wanderer