Re: Jitsi (was Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card).

Am 25. Apr, 2020 schwätzte Kenneth Parker so:

moin moin,

I couldn't help noticing your .sig reference to Jitsi.  There were threads
about it, as a good replacement for Zoom.  Also, there is a strong need in
another online community that I belong to.

How is your experience with a "room" with, say about 10 people in it with
some using Video, but others preferring Audio only?

My experience with jitsi is that it's missing moderation tools. This has
been with meet.jit.si and with a paid for 8x8 account.

For a private event the password feature is probably sufficient as only
invetees will have the meeting URL and password.

Everyone can kick everyone, so open meetings ( where the password also had
to be distributed ) can easily be taken over by a troll. Also when kicked,
a troll need only hit return to rejoin the meeting.

Technically, it has worked well for my small meetings and for presenting
at and attending LibrePlanet. But in the era of zoombombing, I want
proactive moderation tools.

A local group has been running a Big Blue Button instance for years. In
addition to passwords for meeting rooms, BBB has a waiting room where
attendees need moderator approval to join a meeting. Also, only the moderator can kick people out. Once kicked, trolls can rejoin, but are in
the waiting room.

BBB does have an 'All users join as moderators' setting if you prefer
meeting anarchy :).

The local group is running BBB on a home cable connection in the US and
has had a dozen people at a time in meetings. Most do not use video, so
not sure how it would work if everyone turns on their cameras.

Additionally, BBB was built for classroom use and ties into Moodle.

Last week I found Big Blue Meeting has hosted BBB accounts starting at
$40/month. I paid for an account and have been happy with it during the
small amount of testing thus far.

https://www.BigBlueMeeting.com/

ciao,

der.hans