Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card

On 25.04.2020 16:20, Jiangsu Kumquat wrote:
I want to get a good fast Debian compatible card for 1080p.

I was looking at this page...

Best Graphics Cards 2020 - Top Gaming GPUs for the Money | Tom's Hardware

However, I think most or all of those cards won't work that great for Linux because of compatibility issues.

Can you recommend a good card for me to use? I play windows games in Debian with wine.

I tend to prefer AMD cards, but Nvidia cards are okay I guess as long as they work well with Debian.

Thanks!!

_________________
PrivacyTools - Encryption and tools to protect against global mass surveillance - https://www.privacytools.io - https://www.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO/
--
More secure, more flexible, and completely free video conferencing. Go ahead, video chat with the whole team. In fact, invite everyone you know. Jitsi Meet is a fully encrypted, 100% open source video conferencing solution that you can use all day, every day, for free — with no account needed.

I highly recommend Nvidia-based cards, if you don't mind closed-source drivers.
Many (Most?) games with Linux-native ports officially support only Nvidia by game developers. I think, this is because of the drivers, their quality and stability.
AMD-based card will usually work too, but (as long as I can remember) quality of their drivers were something to be desired and drivers for Linux are under heavy development, but they are open-source.
In case of Proton\WINE, you could get mixed results, because some games (via DXVK) will work better with Nvidia and some are better with AMD. "Better" here as in "less graphical glitches, more performance and stability."
To play modern games in 1080p 60fps with high graphics settings you would want minimum GTX1660 or better with 6Gb VRAM or more.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org