Re: cleanly getting rid of manually installed transitional packages due to rename

Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> You did not understand. Doing this removes both the transitional
> package *and* the new (renamed) package... unless one marks the new
> package as manually installed (which is the thing that I wanted to
> be done automatically).

If there is a package depending on another one. the dependency will not be
removed, so if a replacement is to be installed that depends on the package
in question this package will not be removed.

>> I can't imagine handling all the packages that were installed
>> automatically and marking them one by one. Why should I - better open
>> your eyes when get asked what would be installed as dependency and decide
>> what to do with it on the sport.
>>
>> If important package is removed though there are two ways. You either
>> notice immediately and reinstall it, or you were just thinking it was
>> important :)
>
> No. The package could be so important that if it were uninstalled
> first, one could lose the network connection, which would be terribly
> bad when one cannot have a physical access to the machine before
> several days or weeks. Even if things still seem to be fine after the
> uninstall, things could break in the future, and it could be difficult
> to trace back to the original cause.

This is true, but it I do not remember when the last time I had something
like this. You should be reading what it says before pressing "y" on the
command line.

I usually have a problem with hypothetical cases. You can not solve all of
them. Better stick to the now and give an example that can be reproduced.