Re: Netbeans/Java Tutorial - Hangs

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 8:26 PM local10 <local10@tutanota.com> wrote:

> Tutorial = https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/java/quickstart.html
>
> It's like the process to create the new project hangs.>
> Ideas? Suggestions? (I'm pretty green/new with both IDEs and Java.)

You'll have more luck asking this question on the Netbeans user list. Possible reason: check what JDK you use to run Netbeans 10 and whether it can run properly on JDK 11 or 15.

Regards,

Thank you for the response.

I didn't have a strong drive to get too familiar with either Java (I can do "Hello, World" without an IDE) or Netbeans (or Eclipse, which I couldn't get to work either), and after looking at my problem just a little (at the log files, etc, and how much *stuff* was in the background), I'm reminded of how much me and my fellow staff hated trying to keep our university's enterprise software (Banner) working over the past twenty years because of Java/version compatibility issues, and just realized, "Why? Why would I want to support that morass of fragile complexity?" The fact that neither Eclipse nor NetBeans works "out of the box" on Debian just adds to that sentiment.

I think I'll stick with tinkering in Python, Bash, C, and Julia, at least for now.

--
Kent West                    <")))><