Re: Seeing command history when using MATE terminal

On 18/4/20 10:14 pm, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Saturday, April 18, 2020 07:00:53 AM David wrote:
On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 at 20:20, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
I can see any *ONE* previous commands by using the up-arrow key.
But I need to see the *complete* history. F1 is no "Help".
Obviously its stored in a file. Where?

* so if a user runs multiple shells, each shell exit will overwrite the
existing history file, the result is that only the last shell to exit will
have its history
preserved, and the history of the others will be lost.

But, if you want / need to preserve the history from several terminals, there
are ways to do it, for example, set a different $HISTFILE for each terminal.

Or this in .bashrc?

# append to the history file, don't overwrite it
shopt -s histappend
PROMPT_COMMAND="history -a;$PROMPT_COMMAND"

--
Keith Bainbridge

ke1th3216@zoho.com
+61 (0)447 667 468