Re: DOH (was: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps)

On Ma, 14 apr 20, 07:32:58, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 07:03:12PM -0400, Lee wrote:
> > dnssec just adds a cryptographic signature to the data -- everything
> > is still done "in the clear" (like Debian updates.  or has buster
> > switched to using https for downloading updates?)
>
> The apt-transport-https package is available, but is not installed
> by default.

Not required anymore (at least in buster).

$ apt show apt-transport-https
Package: apt-transport-https
Version: 1.8.2
[...]
 This is a dummy transitional package - https support has been moved into
 the apt package in 1.5. It can be safely removed.

> The Debian mirrors can be accessed via https, but again,
> this is not the default.  (I.e. even if you install apt-transport-https,
> you still have to edit sources.list to use it.)

This is still applicable.

> Accessing the mirrors via https makes the packages un-cacheable, which
> makes the traffic volume significantly greater -- and the package lists
> are already signed, so there's no gain in trustworthiness of the packages.
>
> Some people may cite "privacy", as in "I don't want them to know which
> window manager I use", or something... I do not understand this
> argument, frankly.  It sounds paranoid to me.

Some people might not want to advertise to the world they are using
packages like weboob (only in stretch) :)

More seriously, there is the argument about using encryption even if not
really needed in order to "hide" the cases where it is.

Kind regards,
Andrei