Re: Debian is testing Discourse

On 4/12/20 22:36, Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 12:47:52 -0700
> Ihor Antonov <ihor@antonovs.family> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, April 12, 2020 12:39:43 PM PDT John Hasler wrote:
>>> I note that Discourse is not in the Debian archive.
>>>
>>> Not that it matters, but I certainly won't use Discourse and if most
>>> debian-user traffic were to shift to Discourse I would simply stop
>>> subscribing.
>>>
>>> "Ease of moderation" is *not* a plus.
>>
>> +1
>> Observing how zealots have moderated Norbert Preining is a perfect example of how
>> biased and closed-minded those moderators can be.
>
> +1
>
> Moderation seems eminently reasonable on paper, but in practice, my
> experiences with it have been generally bad (stack exchange sites, some
> other mailing lists).

As a fairly regular reader and occasional participant here, I'd like to
offer a comment. This list, and from what I have seen, the laptop and
security lists, do not seem to need moderation. Occasionally a post is a
bit over the top, and as far as I can tell are generally corrected by a
relatively gentle reply or suggestion (e. g., don't top post).

Full disclosure:
1. I am of the older persuasion, and therefore(?) quite happy with email
and the conversational style it promotes.

2. I might be thought biased against moderation, having been unpersoned
by the Editor in Chief ("This account is no longer allowed to
participate on The Register forums"), apparently for asking why he
rejected a post I thought unobjectionable and entirely compliant with
the comments guidelines.

3. I also know nothing about Discourse. Although the remarks so far in
the thread don't particularly make me want to use it, I don't find the
idea entirely abhorrent.

Tom Dial