Re: Debian is testing Discourse

On Mon 13 Apr 2020 at 07:32:56 -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> If the project wants to implement Discourse as an adjunct to existing
> communications channels, fine, I've no problem with that.

Me neither. While preferring email, I am comfortable with web-style
interfaces for some of the user support I indulge in.

>                                                            If, however,
> the goal is arbitrary and wholesale replacement of all lists with the
> jumbled mess that is my experience of Discourse, then I object.

I do not know about "arbitrary", but a reason for -user being "...better
off in Discourse". has not yet been advanced. Anyway, there will be an
evaluation period in which we can see whether newcomers abandon -user and
flock to Discourse without having their arms twisted up their backs. :)

Making communication with newcomers more accessible and taking advantage
of more featureful tooling has been tried before, but without sidelining
-user. Coincidentally, the prime mover was also a DPL. See

  https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2010/09/msg00123.html

My recollection is that the initiative never really attracted sufficient
support. The site has since been put out of its misery.

--
Brian.