Re: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps

On 2020-04-11, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

>> BTW, I fed my IP address to this site
>>
>>  https://www.maxmind.com/en/locate-my-ip-address
>>
>> and it nails my location approximately within a 50 meter radius (I
>> entered the latitudinal and longitudinal coordinate output into
>> Google's search engine, which brings up the spot in their Maps app).
>>
>> I found this surprising (in my vast ignorance).
>>

> That one places me in South Norwood, which is at least in the correct
> city.

I guess the question in the context of this thread is whether the
precision the OP is seeing can be attributed to a geolocation by IP, or
whether his privacy settings are being violated. On another machine,
for another app (Night Light), he complained about the lack of
precision. But maybe that other machine is located in his summer home in
Tierra del Fuego. I will hazard no further assumptions in that regard.

Of course, if you can be located within a 50 m radius via your IP
address as I have, you might wonder what purpose those privacy settings
serve in the first place. But I guess you and others have demonstrated
that in certain cases they do provide a benefit.