Re: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps

On 2020-04-11, Anil F Duggirala <anilduggirala@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> > Perhaps it simply looks up your IP address. Would I be right in
>> > thinking that you are located in your DC?
>> So. I right now physically in the beautiful city of Cali, Colombia.
>> And
>> Gnome Maps is showing my location precise to about a 10 meter radius
>> of
>> my actual location. That is my concern. Location Services are Off and
>> have never been turned on on this machine.
>>
> I should not have said a 10 meter radius, thats not fair. I would say,
> always, within a 50 meter radius. Which imo is pretty precise for IP
> based location.

BTW, I fed my IP address to this site

 https://www.maxmind.com/en/locate-my-ip-address

and it nails my location approximately within a 50 meter radius (I
entered the latitudinal and longitudinal coordinate output into Google's
search engine, which brings up the spot in their Maps app).

I found this surprising (in my vast ignorance).